Ho to get your dental hygiene license out of state?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  salvadorflores21 1 year, 9 months ago. This post has been viewed 199 times

  • Author
  • #69494

    Ho to get your dental hygiene license out of state?


    ental Assistants who relocate to Texas who have made x-rays may work in Texas as a dental assistant; however, may not make x-rays in Texas until they hold the Texas RDA Certificate and display it where services are provided.

    Certifications and Credentials Issued by Other States and National Boards
    Issued by Other State Regulatory Agencies –
    Registrations and Certifications issued to Dental Assistants by any other state-level regulatory authorities are not transferable to Texas. The SBDE does not offer reciprocity to dental assistants.

    Credentials Issued by the Dental Assistant National Board –

    The SBDE does recognize the Dental Assistant National Board (DANB) Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) credential. More information on how to obtain a DANB CDA credential please visit: http://www.danb.org/


    Dental Assistants who have worked in another state who have never made x-rays may work in Texas as a dental assistant and may make x-rays for one year from beginning the first day they are hired under the direct supervision of a dentist. To continue making x-rays after the first year of employment the dental assistant will need to register with the Dental Board before their first year of employment ends.

    Who grants licensure?
    Licensure is granted by each individual state. Dental hygienists practice in accordance with requirements of individual state dental practice acts.
    How is licensure obtained:

    In virtually every state, several steps are required before a license can be granted:
    Graduation from an accredited dental hygiene program
    Successful completion of the written National Board Dental Hygiene Examination
    Successful completion of a regional or state clinical board examination
    Once these steps have been completed, an applicant for licensure must then contact the state licensing authority in the state where he/she wishes to practice. As licensing requirements vary from state to state, it is necessary to contact each licensing authority in a given state for its specific application requirements and procedures. Examples of other types of requirements and information needed are:

    Successful completion of a jurisprudence exam
    Proof of CPR certification
    Letters of recommendation from dentists licensed in the state in which you wish to obtain licensure
    Official transcripts from high school and colleges attended
    Official letters from the boards of dentistry where licensure is held

    Here’s what you need to know about getting a license in your new state:
    Most states have some provision for dental hygienists already licensed in another state to obtain a license without retaking the clinical examination. It may be called licensure by endorsement, licensure by credentials—or rarely—reciprocity. The basic requirements will be:
    •An active license in good standing.
    • Almost always recent practice experience, although requirements for time in practice varies by state.
    • Successful completion of the national board written exam.
    • Successful completion of a clinical licensure exam – some states accept any clinical, while others only accept certain regional examinations.
    • Graduation from a CODA accredited dental hygiene program.

    If you are a newer graduate without enough practice to qualify for licensure by endorsement, you still may be able to submit newer scores from a clinical exam you have taken and apply for licensure by examination using that score.

    Some other possibilities to check into if the state does not have licensure by credentials available for you
    •The state may have temporary licensure to enable practice until the next time an exam is given.
    • The state may have a special license if you agree to practice in certain public health/difficult access facilities.
    •Practice is permitted with ANY valid license in federal facilities—like Indian Health Service clinics or military bases.

    There is no such thing as automatic “reciprocity” among states which use the same clinical exam. You always need to apply for a license in the new state.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the dental information


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.


©2019 WorldDentalNetwork.com 

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account